I get asked for advice a lot. Being that I am a spin instructor, a skin care creator, and a teacher, people have this idea that I know what I am talking about. And when it comes to those subjects, I do. I take my jobs very seriously and even though I may come across as precocious, I do study and research and care deeply. But I am about to give advice on surviving the holidays. So being that I am a mere human, no better than you, please don't take it too seriously. However, I have talked a few people, "off the ledge" this week so I am going to pull out my Oprah hat and pretend that I am in the know on how to have a serene holiday season.
1. You don't have to give everyone a present. I know what it is to have a rough year and want to say thank you to everyone and anyone who has been kind to you. Don't! They helped you because they love you and you would do the same for them. If you don't have the money, or the time, or the energy, don't give even a little gift. A card with heartfelt words will mean so much more. If it is crazy this time of year, send out New Year's cards instead. I get mad when one of my dear friends gives me a gift when I know she is struggling. Just come over for a cup of coffee....or wine.....or vodka.....(still can't do tequila after cinco de mayo).... and laugh with me. That is what I want. Also, every teacher or adult that has touched your child's life does not need a gift. Except if that person is me of course! I am only joking here. As a teacher, I appreciate the gifts but I also loved the hand drawn notes and cards from the student. If you must, pick the main teachers and call it good. I hook up the receptionist at my daughters' school at another time, just because she is awesome and she still spoils my babies. Get off the gift ledge. This year I gave small, thoughtful hand made by me or someone else gifts to my closest friends and family. I feel so much better and feel that Christmas has been brought down to a reasonable level.
2. You don't have to go to every single party. It is a crazy time of year and people know there is a good chance that you won't make it. Go to the parties that are really important to you and skip the rest to get rest. It is okay....unless it is my party of course. Again, I jest. I narrowed my party going down to two parties before Christmas this year. And because I am not exhausted I enjoyed one very much. I will let you know how my mother's party went next week.
3. Try to keep the sugar to a minimum. I know that this is a crazy suggestion being that it is the holidays and all, but sugar kills your immune system and wreaks havoc on your skin. After a week of eating chocolate and Almond Roca I feel a cold coming on and my skin looks dull and nasty! I cannot have that! There is no chocolate in my house right now. And I really want some, but it isn't here and I am too lazy to find some. It is a win for me!
4. Don't have Christmas at your house. And if you do, assign everyone a dish or drink. People like to have direction and love to bring something to a dinner. Let them. You do the main dish and clean your house and call it good.
5. Have your meltdown. Call a friend and go ahead and have that melt down. Then have a couple glasses of wine and read the 25 funniest autocorrects of 2012. It is a little raunchy so don't read it if you don't appreciate raunchy humor. http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-25-funniest-autocorrects-of-2012 Laugh until you cry then repeat steps 1-4
I certainly don't pretend to know all the ways to live a simple and calm life. But people do ask how I do all that I do. I prioritize and I do only what I have to do. I have to be a good friend and mother. I don't have to be the greatest gift giver, partier, or sane person. If I get that in, however, it will have been a great holiday season!

No comments:
Post a Comment