Laura's Corner

Random thoughts about skin care, events, secret recipes, useless and useful bits of information. Not all business and often business.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Cashew "Mayo" and Dana Torres


I am almost 42.  And while I have noticed that it takes my body longer to recover from abuses, say a hard workout or a long night, I still feel pretty darn good.  I have no injuries and I still kick some arse.  We don't need to speak of the time this summer when I went running with a 25 year old man and suggested we do hill sprints and when I ran my little heart out to the top and almost threw up, he looked at me and said, "I thought we were doing sprints?"
If I shove that memory into the deep, dark crevices of my mind, along with all the other denials, I can still feel I kick some major arse. That is why, for the moment, I am obsessed with Dana Torres and Jennifer Lopez.  They are both older than me.  Ha!  And they are amazing.  I really am cheering for JLo and her man.  If they make it a ten year run, I am calling it a victory! And Dana Torres was 41 when she broke the US record for 100 meter and 50 meter freestyle at the 2008 Olympics.  Her secret weapon, interval training on a spin bike.  Holler!  For those of you who don't know, I teach Spin classes on the side for kicks and giggles.  Which brings me to the point of this post.  My Allstar peeps have been asking for my cashew "mayo" recipe.  I usually just throw things in a blender, but I know most need a little thing called measurements, so I measured it for you.  Here it is.


Cashew "Mayo"

Throw the following ingredients in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Store in fridge in air tight container.  I would throw it away after two weeks, but there probably won't be any left.

1 cup cashew pieces
1/2 cup strong chai tea (I steeped 1/2 cup water with 2 bags of chai tea)
3/4 cup unsweetened milk substitute.  I used plain almond milk, but have used hazelnut milk and coconut milk as well.
1/2 tablespoon Berbere seasoning (This is an Indian seasoning and will make it a little spicy.  Cut back if you don't like spice.  Subsitute cumin or garham masala if you would like.)
1/2 tsp salt
lime juice from 1/2 lime
3 leaves basil
1 clove garlic

This is great on my favorite sandwich.  I spread it on Dave's Killer Bread and make a sandwich of avocados, tomatoes, slivered almonds, alfalfa sprouts, and cucumbers.  Que rico!
Or.....you can add some oil and balsamic vinegar to make a yummy creamy dressing.



1 comment: