The other week I watched the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and ever since I have had a huge craving for juice. Usually, I am against juice. To me, it is mostly sugar and the vitamins we get from it are minimal for the amount of calories and sugar we are consuming. I won't even put juice boxes in my kids' lunch or buy juice for parties. Have water or beer instead. Well, if you are old enough to drink, that is. If not, I am the boring mom who only has water to drink. Yeah, I know. Poo poo on me!
My BFF, Angela, brought this movie to my attention. She was craving juice too and had asked to borrow my juicer which was given to me and I have never, ever used. She and her son were going to try "juicing". And they did. And they are. And they like it and have lost weight and feel better. But the juicing is a pain in the arse and it requires a lot of prep and produce. So I was thinking, maybe I could buy a better juicer......or I could maybe purchase my juice and it might be cheaper because juice companies can buy in bulk, right? So I went in search of juice.
My first love was the Green Machine by Naked. This stuff is good and has all kinds of nutrients. But as I looked closer at the label, it has no fiber (how does a vegetable juice have no fiber?) and is "gently pasteurized." What the heck does that mean? I guess it is heated up just enough to kill bad stuff, which means it kills the good stuff too. My heart was broken. I love you Green Machine, but I have to leave you. You are sugar with vitamins. It is like having a really hot boyfriend that is always sick and can't dance.
So off to PCC for cold pressed juice. I found Evolution juice and it is made in Bellevue. Awesome pawesome! You have to look closely because some of their juices are "flash pasteurized" (again, what the heck does that mean?) and some are cold pressed. From what I am gathering, cold pressed means that it is just produce "pressed" and put in bottles. It is never heated and nothing is added to it. That is what I want. Evolution also has pressed juices with fiber and pressed juices with protein. It seems to me that if you wanted to add easy nutrition to your diet, that this could be a way to do it.
I also discovered Amazake which are scrumdillicious made with rice milk so that it is naturally sweet! And their drinks have tons of fiber and nutrients. From the label, however, I cannot deduct whether or not it is cold pressed. But their drinks are the bomb and super filling so if I need a meal replacement, I could use one of their juices....in case of an emergency.
I don't have that much weight to loose and I believe that you don't have to go all crazy to detox. I believe in eating a balanced diet that is very produce heavy and very anti processed. We all could use a little help getting some more nutrients in our diet. I am thinking of trying out some cold pressed juices IN ADDITION to the greens I already eat. Why not, I have been craving juice and that is better then my usual craving of microwave butter popcorn with M & M's.
And I know that what I put in my body effects how my skin looks on the outside.
Check out the movie. It is very interesting. http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead
No comments:
Post a Comment