Laura's Corner

Random thoughts about skin care, events, secret recipes, useless and useful bits of information. Not all business and often business.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tis the season

The holiday season is upon us! For me, it begins with Thanksgiving. Call me old skool, but I think eggnog lattes, Christmas decorations, and Christmas music should be against the law until the day after Thanksgiving. Black Friday is what is the mark of the start of the Christmas season for some. I have never been shopping on Black Friday. And I rarely go to the malls to shop for Christmas presents. One year, I think I did go because all my friends and family had about all the candles they could handle (I have been making candles a long time) and my sewing projects did not go very well (I don't know how to sew). Needless to say, I have never returned to the mad house called the mall during the holiday shopping season. CRAZINESS is what I will call that frenzy. Whew!
This year, though, I did sort of participate in Black Friday. I had my own and I called it Blackett Friday. And it was awesome! I didn't have any crazy sale. I didn't have any specials. But I did have coffee and souffle for breakfast and soup and hotspiced wine that rest of the day. I opened my doors at 7am and closed them at 10pm. I invited people into my home to chat, to shop, to eat, and to share ideas. It was a steady trickle of my people all day long up until the very end. The best part was it was so low key. I put on my "good" sweats and hung out in my house with my kids all day long. And people just came to me. Call me crazy or maybe a bit self centered, but I think Blackett Friday is going to catch on! Just you watch. People will be lining up at my door at 5 am, smooshing their faces to my door, chanting "Open. Open. Open." just like the girl in the old Marshall's commercials (I miss those). I will have to have tents up in the front of my house and give out numbers to enter. Yep, I think it will catch on.
But until next year, when Blackett Friday will be another mad house, you can just come by and relax.
One of my dear friends and adopted bachelors (every family has a few I think. I could be wrong. That has been known to happen on occassion), Peter, suggested I have an open house on Christmas Eve....just a short one.....and call it, "Did you forget your mother?" I think I may have to go with that idea. Better come by this year, because you know, as this world totally revolves around me and what I want, next year will be CRAZY!

No comments:

Post a Comment