Laura's Corner

Random thoughts about skin care, events, secret recipes, useless and useful bits of information. Not all business and often business.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The magic of "Green Sludge"

I have been on a bit of a health kick lately.  I would prefer to call it a gradual shift in my thinking about food, but most people think I am on a health kick.  It has been gradual, however.  My first step was to get processed foods out of my house.  Then I started to make many of my own staples such as bread and yogurt.  Next, I began buying everything organic.  I also experimented with almond flour and limiting gluten and corn in my diet.  I attempted and still attempt every day to make produce the center of my diet. The new thing is juicing, but so many valuable nutrients are lost when juicing such as fiber and protein.  I decided I would simply get a nice blender and blend all my produce and make my own "juice".  My kids call it the green sludge.  And finally, I cut out all animal based products.
Okay, not all of the time, but most of the time, I eat only plant based foods.  I love fancy cheeses and the taco truck.  I couldn't see cutting out what I enjoy so much for the rest of my life.  So I don't.  I am not "vegan" for political reasons.  I do it for me and my family.  And I feel AWESOME!  And it is so easy to me.  I love cooking again and creating yummy treats.  My cheese eating, milk drinking, egg devouring children don't mind and have been totally fine with it.  Finding protein has not been hard for me and I eat pretty much whenever I want.  I don't miss meat or cheese at all.  Holler.
The biggest difference I see in myself, besides losing a little bit of weight (on accident), is my skin looks really nice.  When I used to break out during certain times of the month, I don't anymore.  I use Blackett Body Basics skin care, eat lots of fruits and vegies, drink lots of water, and exercise regularly.  My tummy rarely bothers me anymore.  It takes a little bit more planning to eat on the go, but it is worth it to me.
Here are some more tips on beautiful looking skin.  It is so much more than fancy skin care.  And much of it is in your control.
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/tips-for-gorgeous-skin?page=3

If you would like a sample of the BBB Face care system, let me know.

"Green Sludge" recipe

Half a bunch of dino kale, sliced
half a cucumber cut into 3 or 4 pieces
3 small carrots chopped into 3 or 4 pieces
one apple quartered, core and all
one pear quartered, core and all
one avocado
one kiwi, quartered, skin and all
one mango, diced, no skin
juice of two limes
spoonful of minced ginger
1 tsp cardimon powder
coconut milk, almond milk or rice milk, or juice (enough to facilitate the blending process)
Any fruits or vegies that you think will taste good in it. ...peaches, pineapple, berries.

Place all ingredients in blender, kale at the bottom and blend until it is smooth.
It should be really thick.  I pour it in a big pitcher and it takes me two or three days to go through it all.  I usually buy a variety of Evolution Juices (they are local and cold pressed) and mix it with the green sludge to make it a different mixture every time.  I have a 20 once mixing container and I use that to mix it and drink it and drink two or three servings a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment