Laura's Corner

Random thoughts about skin care, events, secret recipes, useless and useful bits of information. Not all business and often business.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Been Slacking



I know I have been neglecting my blog for a while. It has been busy! Christmas wiped me out with all the shows, parties, and last minute shoppers. It was great, but by the time the New Year came all I wanted to do was sleep. But I couldn't and wouldn't even if I could. There have been a few events that I have been involved in and am very excited about.
First, I created a custom fragrance and lotion bar for the West Side Baby Tea fundraising event February 5, 2011. We decided to create a fragrance to go with their specialty drink for the occasion which was a Pink Apple Martini with a nutmeg rim. This was fun and challenging at the same time. The problem with apple fragrance oil is that it can often times smell like a Jolly Rancher. Who wants to smell like a Jolly Rancher? Well, my 7 year old does, but she wasn't going to the tea. So after a few tries I came up with a very subtle apple fragrance with a nutmeg undertone with just a touch of vanilla and clove. I made West Side Baby travel size Oeshi Bars with pink mica and silver glitter. With their own labels that I custom created for them on little silver tins I wrapped them in white boxes. Lisa of True Love Truffles donated her truffles which were wrapped in white boxes as well. Her truffles are amazing as I have said before. You can order them at http://www.truetruffles.com/ We stacked the two boxes and wrapped them with handmade fabric flowers. Thank you to Angela Flint and Suzette Warshaw for helping me put the boxes together. It was a lot of work, but they looked fabulous! West Side Baby serves families in need in the West Seattle-White Center (or as my girlfriend Rachel would say, "West Seattle-ish") area providing them with clothing, diapers, and other useful items. They raise most of their operating costs with their Tea and Cocktail Party. If you would like to donate or help go to the website http://www.westsidebaby.org/default/westside-baby. I really believe in West Side Baby and Blackett Body Basics is working with them to provide them continual support. Hopefully, if things go right, the Pink Apple Martini Oeshi Bar will be available for purchase on our website with proceeds going directly to West Side Baby with each purchase. I will be sure to let you know.
Next up was Valentine's Day with our introduction of Box of Romance and A Dozen Roses, both gift sets in Sandalwood Rose. You people like your romance and sparkles. But that is alright with us. I absolutely love this fragrance and have heard how sad people are that it is only available during Valentine's Day. Aiming to please, we still have the perfume available on line and will bring back the Massage Bar for Mother's Day.
We were barely able to catch our breathe before The Major Taylor Project benefit at Allstar Fitness on February 17th. The Major Taylor Project, http://www.cbcef.org/youth-major-taylor.html is an organization that brings cycling to under served youth, many of which don't have bikes. If you have never heard of Major Taylor you can read more about him here http://www.majortaylorassociation.org/who.htm. He is the Jackie Robinson of cycling and an inspiration to so many. The Major Taylor cycling clubs all over the US are considered some of the most intense and dedicated cyclists. My father in law is an avid cyclist and while he lived in Minneapolis he was invited to join the Major Taylor Cycling Club and he said no. He told me, "Those cats are crazy. They ride in the snow, the sleet, the rain, the wind, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am moving to California so I can ride every day in the sun!" The clubs ride like Major Taylor did; with 100% of their heart and soul.
Ed Ewing, is the Major Taylor Project director here in Seattle, and a good friend of mine. We both teach indoor cycling at Allstar Fitness and have worked together to bring health awareness to the middle schoolers at Zion Preparatory Academy when I worked there. He had this fantastic idea to have an Allstar Spin-a-thon to raise money to bring the Major Taylor Project to Chief Sealth High School and Denny Middle School. I donated almost $400 worth of product for the drawings that were conducted all night long. People had a choice to rent a bike for one hour and up to three. I rode the entire 3 hours and was wiped out! But I had a great time and the Project met and exceeded their fund raising goals. I rode next to Chuck Ayers, the Cascade Club Executive Director and teased him the entire time. I had no idea who he was at the time, but now it has been said that he thinks that I am one tough cookie!
The Major Taylor Project is close to my heart for many reasons. 1. I went to both Chief Sealth and Denny. 2. I am a cyclist. 3. I heart Ed. 4. I was a teacher for many years and any program that works to make kids feel empowered has my total and complete support. Imagine how you would feel or did feel the first time you rode the STP (Seattle to Portland). Now, imagine how that would feel if you were in high school. Crazy awesome! I am working with Ed on ways Blackett Body Basics can provide continual financial support for the Major Taylor Project. I will let you know how it pans out as soon as I know.
Two weeks after that, I rode the Chilly Hilly.....IN THE SNOW! It was freaking snowing! Even the Major Taylor kids didn't do it! For those who don't know, Chilly Hilly is the first official "race/ride" of the season and is, I think, 36 miles around Bainbridge Island. It is nothing but hills! It was wet. It was cold. It was snowing. It was AWESOMENESS!
But after that, I got really, really sick and didn't do too much of anything. I think my body was trying to give me a clue that sleep might actually be a needed part of my life. But as soon as I caught my second wind, my mind was a racing. I finally perfected the men's Blackett Sandalwood Aftershave and it is now available on the website. I created a fragrance just for summer called Northwest Summer. It is a combination of vertiver, lavender, and lemon with just a touch of violet and sparkles. It is also now available on the website but is only available in the Oeshi Bar. The perfume will be available in the middle of April. I know it isn't summer yet, but after this winter, I decided to bring it in just a little bit early. This rain is killing me!
Earlier this month, Blackett Body Basics was featured in the Urban Unveiled blog, http://urbanunveiled.com/seattle_wedding_resources/blackett-body-basics-all-natural-products-ingredients-youve-actually-heard. Urban Unveiled is an upscale wedding show that showcases invite only vendors from industries that cater to weddings. It was an amazing experience to be a part of. The talent displayed and the attention to detail by each company absolutely blew me away. Angela, Lesli, and I were busy all night long discussing our products. If those two girls weren't with me, I would have drowned. Angela is very direct and organized and keeps me on a straight line. Lesli is pure sunshine and enthusiasm and people know that it is genuine. As much as I would like to be part of Urban Unveiled again, it just wasn't in the cards this time around. I pray that next year, I can be a part of it again, and that they will have a space for me. If you are getting married, you have to go to Urban Unveiled. All other wedding shows pale in comparison.
I am now gearing up for the Fragrance Consultant buy in party that 10 wonderful women bought at the Alki Elementary Auction. My children go to Alki and I am excited that I get to support their school other than just being in their classrooms all the time. Oh and I am also beginning my training for the Lake Stevens Half Iron Man in August. I decided that I needed back up, so my cousin is coming to stay with me to help me with the kids so that I can take care of my business, work and train all while getting enough sleep. Speaking of which, I probably should go get right now.
As always, thank you to those who continually support me and have faith in me and my business. Your love means more than you will ever know. I am having a blast and really do delight in bringing products to you that you like. Every time someone tells me how much they love my product, I get a little giggly inside.
xoxoxoxox
Laura
PS I am going on vacation (I am tagging along with my husband for his business trip to Puerto Rico) April 10th- 16th. The owner, executive director, creative director, web designer, and retail coordinator of Blackett Body Basics will be surfing and will be available on a limited basis. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment